[nuttx] IPv4 link local & IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP)
SP sp@orbitalfox.com [nuttx]
2018-02-14 16:02:54 UTC
Hello all.

I'm using NuttX in an application where Ethernet interfaces need to
auto-configure their IP addresses without the presence of a DHCP server.

Looking for Link Local auto-assignment (specifically SAM34) I can't find any
implementations. Is it implemented somehow or would I need to implement it?

An alternative solution would be do use IPv6 which requires the implementation
link-local addresses and it apparently ready. What is the maturity status of
IPv6 and auto-assignment?

Thanks
'David S. Alessio' david.s.alessio@gmail.com [nuttx]

Thanks
spudarnia@yahoo.com [nuttx]
2018-02-14 19:40:08 UTC
The ICMPv6 auto-configuration logic is mature and should work fine for you if nothing has been broken. For IPv4, you have to use DHCPv4. UDP supports some IPv4 in IPv6 logic but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

You could use the NuttX DHCPD.

Greg
SP sp@orbitalfox.com [nuttx]
2018-02-14 19:51:12 UTC
On 14 Feb 2018 19:40:08 +0000
Post by ***@yahoo.com [nuttx]
The ICMPv6 auto-configuration logic is mature and should work fine
for you if nothing has been broken.
That's good to hear, I think this will be the path to try.
Post by ***@yahoo.com [nuttx]
For IPv4, you have to use DHCPv4. UDP supports some IPv4 in IPv6
logic but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.
DHCP isn't really an option for the application.
--
SP